[SunHELP] solaris 8 install

Will Yardley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 08:33:56 CST 2001

Kevin Stevens wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Will Yardley wrote:
>
> > i know that's not a lot to go on, but any guesses as to where things
> > are going wrong?
>
> Uh, I'm guessing right about the point where you "rename a bunch of
> init scripts"?!
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but why not do a nice
> clean install and reboot the system before starting to muck around
> with the startup procedure?

well i've done about 6 nice clean installs.  however the 'nice clean
install' leaves a craload of unecessary and / or insecure services
running.

i'm not just randomly renaming stuff; all the stuff i've renamed is
stuff that i'm pretty sure isn't needed.

obviously i've probably renamed one service that's needed somewhere....
since the exact same thing has happened to me with each install.  next
time i will definitely try to make fewer changes at once and reboot more
frequently.  on such a slow machine it's really time consuming to do
this all the time, though (and really frustrating when it breaks each
time).

--
The three wise men brought frank incest and mirth.