[SunHELP] How to share the terminal session

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 04:23:04 CST 2001

From: "Will Yardley" <william+sun at hq.newdream.net>
> johnlee wrote:
> >
> > Could somebody tell me how to share a terminal session to other person
> > (who can see what you do on your teminal session window) ? As you
> > know, this will be very useful for remote troubleshooting.
>
> i believe you can do this with screen (i've only done it once or twice
> so i don't remember the syntax).
>
> there are binary packages at http://sunfreeware.com/ and you can get the
> sources from any of the GNU mirrors i believe.
>
> i'm pretty sure the option you want is:
>
>        -x   Attach  to a not detached screen session. (Multi dis-
>             play mode).

There's another utility for doing this that seems a little more flexible
than screen, I'm trying desperately to remember its name. Part of the expect
distribution.

kibitz, that's it. From the man page...

NAME
       kibitz - allow two people to interact with one shell

SYNOPSIS
       kibitz [ kibitz-args ] user [ program program-args...  ]
       kibitz [ kibitz-args ] user at host [ program program-args...  ]

INTRODUCTION
       kibitz  allows  two  (or more) people to interact with one shell (or
any arbitrary
       program).  Uses include:

              7   A novice user can ask an expert  user  for  help.   Using
kibitz,  the
                  expert  can see what the user is doing, and offer advice
or show how to
                  do it right.

              7   By running kibitz and then starting a full-screen  editor,
people  may
                  carry  out  a  conversation, retaining the ability to
scroll backwards,
                  save the entire conversation, or even edit it while in
progress.

              7   People can team up on games, document  editing,  or  other
cooperative
                  tasks  where  each  person has strengths and weaknesses
that complement
                  one another.

Will.