[SunHELP] How to restrict the login on Solaris servers

gonufer sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 10:45:34 CDT 2001

Li John-a16118 wrote:

 > One common situation in using Solaris server is: We want some server
 >  dedicate to some users. To implement this, we can restrict the
 > login on the server so that only specific users can use the server.
 >  Other users, even in a NIS domain, can't login the restricted
 > server.
 >
 > Any good suggestions are highly appreciated.

I use the pam_listfile module and added it to /etc/pam.conf.  I
use it as a filter on the other authentication methods preventing
people not listed in /etc/friends from using the machine even though
they have passwd file entries in the NIS maps.

% grep friends /etc/pam.conf
login   auth required   /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_listfile.so.1
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/friends
rlogin  auth required   /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_listfile.so.1
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/friends
dtlogin auth required   /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_listfile.so.1
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/friends
rsh     auth required   /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_listfile.so.1
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/friends
other   auth required   /usr/lib/security/$ISA/pam_listfile.so.1
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow file=/etc/friends
%

I think I downloaded the sources from some "Linux" PAM module web
site but it compiled with minor changes on SunOS.  It's a very
flexible module that can be used for a variety of tasks.

-greg