[SunHELP] Hostname question...

Fletcher, Joe sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 04:57:25 CDT 2001

Depends entirely on what you are going to be doing with the system. If it's
not going to interact with the internet in any realistic sense you can get
away without the fqdn. If however the machine is expected to connect to
anything other than a private network then you will probably need to get the
machine named and registered. While some services will work, outsiders tend
to get upset when unnamed and unregistered hardware starts talking to them.