[SunHELP] Sun Shell Environment

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 00:40:18 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Brian Oakes wrote:

> A friend of mine told me I need to set up and environment on this
> Solaris8 system. (Time for the stupid question) Does anyone have a list
> or a place to start?
>
> I have been trying to find a place to read up on what to do. Any
> pointers?  I have downloaded a bunch of packages and installed them. So
> far it really isn't close to being the same.

1. Determine what you need.
2. Download either source or binaries.
3. Install.

Without knowing the specifics of your environment it's hard to tell what
an optimal software load is for your system.  If you want a good place to
start, check out sunfreeware.com and the "unsupported software" CD that
may be in your media pack.  Both have a large quantity of installable
software prepackaged for your convenience including gcc, many window
managers, editors and other development tools.

-James