[SunHELP] Sun Shell Environment

Clayton Winter sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 00:15:17 CDT 2001

Brian,

You will probably need to create a shell environment.

Solaris by default has bourne and korn shells. Though bash and gcc
should have been installed as part of a full Solaris 8 install it is not
a big deal, try www.sunfreeware.com for some packaged binaries for bash
gcc etc...

Here is an example of a korn shell (/bin/ksh) .profile environment. Your
.kshrc is where you setup shortcut etc...

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin;e
xport PATH
EDITOR=vi
MAILCHECK=6000
HOST=`/usr/ucb/hostname`
PS1='[!: $PWD]\
$HOST [root] # '; export PS1
set -o ignoreeof
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc ; export ENV

Here is an example of a korn shell ( maybe /usr/local/bin/bash)
.bash_profile environment.

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
         . ~/.bashrc
fi

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
PS1="[\t \d *** \! \w ***\n\u@\h \]# "
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
#set -o notify
#set -o vi
IGNOREEOF=10

export PATH PS1 BASH_ENV IGNOREEOF

Those are quite basic environemts, some people go mad with

There is lots of stuff out there concerning bourne korn and bash.

Regards
Clayton Winter: Systems Administrator
Sun Certified System Administrator
Webdata: Corporate Hosting Solutions