[SunHELP] forgetten password

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 14:47:48 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:37:01 -0700  "Korkmaz, Murat" wrote:
> there is this sun ultra box running sonOS 5.6 or solaris 2.6 and we dont
> know the password to get in, so is there anybody wanna help us how to
> circumvent this password thing locally.

Step-by-step:

- insert Solaris installation media, pretty much any release
- boot from the CD-ROM into single-user mode
- mount the root file system (usually onto /a or /mnt)
- edit the shadow file at <mntpt>/etc/shadow to remove the root password
- cleanly unmount the the root file system
- power cycle/reset (no point in cleanly shutting down when booted
  from a read-only filesystem).

-greg