[SunHELP] forgetten password

Bruce Pullig sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 15 14:46:51 CDT 2001

Perform a stop-A
boot from CD-ROM with:
boot cdrom -s
then fsck the boot disk,(find it using format) mount it under /a
then vi /a/etc/shadow and remove root's encrypted password.(second field)
then reboot, the root password will be blank.

At 11:37 AM 8/15/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>there is this sun ultra box running sonOS 5.6 or solaris 2.6 and we dont
>know the password to get in, so is there anybody wanna help us how to
>circumvent this password thing locally.
>Box is not on the netwotk.
>any help will be appreciated.
>thanks in advance.
>murat

   Bruce Pullig
   Senior Systems Administrator
   Schlumberger Oil & Gas Information Solutions
   5444 Westheimer, Suite 800
   Houston, TX 77056
   (713) 350-4217
   bpullig at houston.geoquest.slb.com