[SunHELP] jumpstart

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 19:37:02 CDT 2001

> I'll look at Casper's configs. I was just looking for more involved
> fules, to see what else people were doing.

I now use Flash because a bare-iron machine can have a nearly-full
install with post-install customizations in 10-15 minutes with Flash.

So I use JumpStart (since I have the scripts written already) once to:

	- configure the packages
	- install the OS
	- set the root passwd
	- set the terminal type (serial consoles, inittab changed from
	  "sun" to "xterms"
	- install SSH, generate host keys
	- setup /.ssh/authorized_keys and /.profile
	- install SunVTS and install /var/opt/SUNWvts/.sunvts pre-configured
	  setup file
	- configure NTP
	- tweak /etc/system
	- install local files and utilities

Then after the prototype machine has been auto-installed I boot it and
run flarcreate to create the prototype flash archive.  From that point
on all other machines use that flash archive via JumpStart, the top
of the profile looks like:

	install_type    flash_install
	archive_location nfs nfs-server:/export/flash/archive_name

You can install a *lot* of machines very quickly this way.  You can also
create a flash archive of, say, a firewall machine and, if you're
compromised, get the machine back to the known-good, completely
configured state in 15 minutes.

-greg