[SunHELP] jumpstart

gonufer sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 14 11:07:36 CDT 2001

koyote at koyote.cx wrote:
> the first is- I'm fairly certain I can use jumpstart on 8 to
> install 2.6 on machines, but I'm not sure how.
>
> the second is, when I get the 3gx in and add a bigger drive,
> can I use the 2.6 to jumpstart 8 installs?

Those are both the same question.  The version of the OS for
a netinstall server is completely orthogonal to the version
of the OS you are installing from that netinstall server.

The netinstall server I use has Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 on it.
Actually several versions of each given the "dated" Update
releases.

Just set up the netinstall server as directed in the instructions,
there shouldn't be any extra magic if the OS versions don't match.

> (who is playing wiht jumpsart and would love to see some begin/finish
> scripts, rules, and profiles for reference)

Casper (the Solaris FAQ guy) has a nice JumpStart/AutoInstall reference
configuration on his ftp server.  There's also an example on one of the
Solaris install CD-ROMs in the Misc directory.

-greg