[SunHELP] Hard drive.

Phil Brutsche sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 8 17:14:03 CDT 2001

> Hello,
>
> A Hard drive in a Sparcstation 10 seems to be damaged. I am wondring if I
> can use a normal IDE disk for PC to replace it or I have to get a sun
> specific hard disk?

No to both.  Your SS/10 uses very plain narry SCSI connectors for the hard
drives.

There are adapters you can get that will make the IDE drive take a SCSI
cable but they're kinda pricey compared to the price of just replacing the
SCSI drive.

> By the way, where I can find the floppy boot image(sol 8)

For Solaris 8 on SPARC?  IIRC there is no such thing.  The only ways that
I've seen to boot Solaris 8 are:

* hard drive
* CD
* network

And the network bit requires a pre-existing Solaris system.

> to boot the system and use some kind of software to repair the damage
> disk?

I take it you don't have a CD or CD drive to boot it with?

Phil