[SunHELP] boot device

Dave Garten sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 7 23:15:56 CDT 2001

Patrick,
    I believe the OpenBoot 2.x Command Reference Manual has your answer.  It
would be a good source of reading for anyone owning a SPARCStation.  It's at
docs.sun.com under 'Collection Titles,' 'Solaris 2.6 System Administrator
Answer Book Vol 2,' 'OpenBoot 2.x Command Reference Manual.'

A synopsis of your task...

>From the ok> type...setenv boot-device alias1, alias2, alias3

where:
    - alias= Device from which to boot.  See list below.
    - multiple 'aliases' are seperarted by commas (tries each device in the
order listed)
     -'alias' often defaults as follows for Sun 4m:
Alias      Boot Path                  Description

disk        /sbus/esp/sd at 3,0     Default disk (1st internal).
disk0      /sbus/esp/sd at 3,0     First internal disk sd0.
disk1      /sbus/esp/sd at 1,0     Second internal disk sd1.
disk2      /sbus/esp/sd at 2,0     External disk sd2.
disk3      /sbus/esp/sd at 0,0     External disk sd3.
tape       /sbus/esp/st at 4,0       First tape drive st0.
tape0     /sbus/esp/st at 4,0       First tape drive st0.
tape1     /sbus/esp/st at 5,0       Second tape drive st1.
cdrom    /sbus/esp/sd at 6,0:c   CD-ROM partition c.
cdroma  /sbus/esp/sd at 6,0:a   CD-ROM partition a.
net         /sbus/le                      Ethernet.
floppy    /fd                             Floppy drive.
Use the command: 'devalias' to display all current device aliases for your
machine.  You can define an alias using the devalias command with an alias
name and a device-path