[SunHELP] FDDI and sparc5

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 9 21:13:31 CDT 2001

> You need additional drivers for FDDI cards, under Solaris 2.5.1 anyway. Not
> so sure about later OSes.

i don't know about 2.5.1, but for 8 the following is true:

the Sun cards don't need extra drivers, they come with 8
the NPI cards need the drivers off of the NPI website.

i have the drivers for the NPI cards as i'm using two of them in two different
sparc20's i have and they work great.  but in the sparc5 they just aren't seen
by the hardware, and the NPI drivers can't find them either.  the Sun cards
were a complete failure as well.

the only thing i can come up with is SBus revision clashes.  i've got a call
in to our Sun support people at work, but haven't heard back from them.   plus
they aren't always the most reliable source of information although they usually
turn out to be rather helpful.

i'm hoping they can give me a part number for an FDDI card that is known to
work in the sparc5.  maybe it's time to look into cisco cards since both Sun
and NPI have failed me thus far.

thanks!!

-brian