[SunHELP] OpenWin and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Apr 8 13:21:20 CDT 2001

> Hi,
> The program "ssh-askpass" can't find the lib libncurses.so.4. you can check this
>
> :-
> # ldd {Pathe to prog}/ssh-askpass
> You then need to find the ncurses lib and make sure you have version 4, then add

that's the thing though, i have /opt/sfw/lib in my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH so when i'm
logged into a shell it has no trouble finding the library: (other libs snipped)

$ ldd /usr/local/bin/ssh-askpass
        libncurses.so.4 =>       /opt/sfw/lib/libncurses.so.4

but when i call it from .openwin-menu-programs it never groks $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and can't find the lib.

> the path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH or better still recompile "ssh-askpass" with correct
> flags ( -R [path to lib} )

i'd really like to avoid that if i can.  i can also make libncurses a link into
a "standard" library location as well, but i'd rather if it Just Worked(tm) so
i don't have to remember this nonsense next time i build ssh.

thanks for the pointer.

-brian