[SunHELP] More job questions and a SIMS question

Jarrett Carver sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 5 17:31:24 CDT 2001

"with" the government or "for" the government? There is a big difference. It
is true that without a degree a good paying job with the Gov't will be hard
to find, even with a degree it will be hard (not impossible) to find a Gov't
job that pays comparable to commercial companies for the same duties.

Now, there is always the wonderful world of contracting. There are a ton of
companies that have long term stable contracts. So it is not 6 months here,
a year there, etc.. The pay is usually better, and the lack of a degree is
not as prohibiting. ( still you will see difference in pay betweeen with &
without a degree ). Many companies like GTE, Raytheon, Logicon, etc... have
a Gov't services division that handles Gov't contracts.

Downside, a lot of these contracts require security clearances which can
cost a company over $50,000 per employee and can take over year to aquire
depending on the level. I am sure there are contracts out there that don't
require a clearance, I am just most familiar with DoD contracts that do.