[SunHELP] Maximum users on a Solaris 2.6 server

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 23:20:20 CDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:33:05PM -0400, Steven B. Parsons wrote:
> root at twister[607]> more /usr/include/sys/param.h | grep MAXUID
> #define MAXUID          2147483647      /* max user id */
>
> Im guessing that if I uncomment that out and do a reconfig reboot
> I should be good . Currently there is nothing set for that variable and
> im not able to find out what the default is.

FYI, C and C++ programs (perhaps some others) use the header
files in /usr/include to acquire system-defined variables,
structures and macros.  MAXUID is an example of the latter.

When the program is compiled, the compiler reads header
files that are included into the source of the program,
so they're defined in the program's name space.

If, for example, the C library were compiled without
including <sys/param.h> (or a header that includes
that header), and a function in the library referred
to MAXUID (which is most likely), the compiler generates
an error, as it can't resolve the symbol "MAXUID"
to a constant or other value.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen