[Sunhelp] Roadrunner and private network DNS

David Rouse cn1407 at coastalnet.com
Sun Sep 24 16:28:00 CDT 2000

I've got a smallish network at home (nothing worth posting a picture of
here) and I'm getting RoadRunner installed soon, so I've been looking at the
FAQs and Time Warner's service agreement. It seems like it is only a
violation of the service agreement to attach the cable modem directly to a
hub -- it has to be connected to a computer. So I've got this IPX with a
second ethernet card and my thought has been to use it running ip-filter's
NAT as a gateway.

A few DNS/DHCP related concerns:

* The private network uses BIND (running on the IPX) for host resolution at
the local level. It looks like I loose control over what resolvers I use
with DHCP. Is there anyway I can still have the IPX use the name resolver
that I choose, rather than the DHCP values?

* I'd like to have the IPX send syslog messages to another machine, is there
a way to make this work?

Thanks for any advice, even if it is 'that's the way it is.'

--
drouse