[Sunhelp] Sizing a DNS server

David Rouse cn1407 at coastalnet.com
Sun Sep 24 16:03:09 CDT 2000

On 9/24/00 at 1:04 PM, dougmc at frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote:

>| > At work we run the authoratative DNS server for our domain. The domain
gets
>| > about 200-300 email a day (in and out), 7,000 HTTP page requests a day
and
>| > we have about 50 users (about 10 that are active on the Internet).
>
>And IPX should have no problem whatsoever handling this DNS load.
>
>In fact, it probably could also handle all this email and webserver
>load by itself as well :)

I've started to notice stuff like that. Of course we've long since bought
two 266 MHz machines for mail and web serving. Its s strange world when you
need next month's machine to play a game but a five-year-old box is what you
want to get useful stuff done.

As for the NetBSD idea, I've got a Mac 6100 I could put in place of the
Quadra for a while. If I can figure out how to install NetBSD over a network
that might be the thing to do.

But -- what should a built-out IPX cost (i.e. 1-2 GB HD and max RAM)?

--
drouse