[Sunhelp] Ethernet puzzle

Fletcher, Joe joe.fletcher at Metapack.com
Thu Sep 21 15:40:28 CDT 2000

Hi,

The common problem with transitioning from hubs to switches is duplex
mismatches. Hubs only do half duplex. If autodetection isn't working
correctly you can end up with things like switch trying full duplex while
the system is doing half. If possible set both ends in a static config
ie define both to be fast full duplex and see if it cures the problem. You
might find fixing one end cures both.

Cheers

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gendel x3145 [mailto:ggendel at sarnoff.com]
Sent: 21 September 2000 18:02
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: [Sunhelp] Ethernet puzzle

I recently upgraded my 10base-T hub to a 10/100 base-T unmanaged switch
(D-Link DPS8+8).  I just had an anomally that puzzles me....

I shut off an Ultra-10 dataless client unless needed.  The unit has the
inexpensive Sun supplied ethernet board.  Last night when I turned on the
machine, I got a message about the network not being connected, Cable
problem?
 Anyway, rebooting or power cycling the machine didn't help, changing
ethernet
cables had no effect, and power cycling the switch didn't help either.  I
finally got it working by plugging the Sun into the old 10base-T hub.  Once
the ethernet line was up, I unplugged it from the hub and into the switch
and,
voila!, 100base-T was up and running.  Power cycling the Ultra afterwards
didn't cause the problem to re-appear.

I don't know whether this is an anomally or something that will happen again

Does anyone have an idea of what happened?  If it happens again, what should
do to isolate the problem?  I suspect the switch, but then again it was
plugging the Ultra's cable into a 10base-T hub that seemed to cure the
problem.

Thanks.
Gary

SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org