[Sunhelp] Fault tolerant system.

Fletcher, Joe joe.fletcher at Metapack.com
Thu Sep 21 05:11:58 CDT 2000

Hi All,

I'm looking for some hints of putting together the following hardware rig.
2x E420Rs, each with two dual SCSI adapters added and two A1000 disk arrays.
The system will be running RSF-1 "cluster" software. We will have Veritas VM
installed
as well.  Initially I'd like confirmation of just how the whole lot should
be cabled together.
This really needs a few diagrams to help explain the options but I'm
assuming some people
aren't usiing MIME enabled emailers. Lets call the servers S1 and S2. The
arrays can be Ar1 and Ar2.
Each array has two SCSI connectors, ports 1 and 2. Assume we will be working
with controllers in slot4
on each server. Each controller has ports A and B. Still with me so far?

What I think we need to do is connect 	S1 portA to Ar1 port1 and portB to
Ar2 port2
					S2 portB to Ar1 port2 and portA to
Ar2 port1

We then use RAID manager to carve up the disks within the arrays (12 disks
in each)
and manage the resulting virtual disks through Veritas at operating system
level.

	S1	S2
	 |    \    / |
	Ar1	Ar2

Alternatives are to chain the two arrays together and single port each
server thus:

S1----Ar1----Ar2 ----S2

If anyone has done anything like this before using this hardware I'd
appreciate a chat.

Cheers

Joe