[Sunhelp] Help For a Newbie Sun Admin

Nicholas Dronen ndronen at frii.com
Wed Sep 20 09:56:12 CDT 2000

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 06:33:50AM -0700, Balaji srinivasan wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have two problems in a Sun Ultra 1 170 MHZ Server. They are
>

> 1. When CDE is started thru Exceed I get the control panel only if I login
> as root but if I login as an ordinary user I don't get the control panel.
> Any ideas why?.
>
> 2. When I login at the console thru CDE the console screen goes blank
> after loging in. I have to give stop-a re-boot. Nothing else works after
> this. I have been observing this behaviour after a power outage we had. This
> server has Solaris 5.7 running on it.

CDE hangs at login time are usually due to a name resolution
problem, so check that the name for the host resolves both ways
.  However, you say the problem started after a power
outage, and I don't see a causal relationship between a power
outage and name resolution problem.  Sometimes these login hangs
are caused by a corrupt tooltalk database.  I wouldn't be surprised
if this is the case here -- it probably got corrupted when the
site lost power.  If name resolution is ok, search sunsolve.sun.com
(if you have an account) for the document on rebuilding the
tooltalk database.

Regards,

Nick Dronen