[Sunhelp] DHCP Question

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at sweden.sun.com
Tue Sep 19 03:48:22 CDT 2000

After getting its IP address from the DHCP server the Solaris box will
query the DHCP server for a hostname (using /sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname), if
the DHCP server doesn't give it a valid hostname it will use "unknown".

Still you can set the nodename of the machine to what you want, and you
can edit the /etc/hosts and adding the hostname you desire, but it would
be better to configure a hostname in the DHCP server.

If you dont want to use the DHCP config to get the hostname you might edit
the files /etc/init.d/inetsvc and network which does a :
hostname=`/sbin/dhcpinfo Hostname`

hostname=`cat /etc/nodename`

or something like that.

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */