[Sunhelp] SUMMARY:Shared console terminal

Joe Fletcher joe at meng.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Sep 14 15:24:21 CDT 2000

The orginal question follows. Based on feedback from both SUN and HP
afficionados and working within constraints imposed on me from above
I'm aiming initially for a VT510 and a simple serial switch.
The solution is aimed primarily at tasks in the racks at the hosting site
rather than remote access. I may improve things by putting in a terminal
server at a later date.

The HP Web console was another suggestion to allow for remote access. I've
used one of these and they do have a certain appeal.

Seems a lot of people in mixed sites don't like HP keyboard layouts.
Doesn't affect the actual functionality but unless you live with them
on a daily basis there are sufficient differences to induce frustration.
Guess it comes down to what you're used to. Anyone got an HP reverse Polish
calculator? ;-)

Cheers

Joe

> 		Hi, This is going to both SUN and HP lists so hopefully I
> can get comparative feedback. Scenario: pair of SUN E420r and pair of HP
> L2000s. The people up the food chain want a single terminal to act as
> console for all four servers. I'm not interested in console switches at
> this stage. I only want to know of gotchas to do with keyboard mappings,
> function keys, VT emulation characteristics etc. An HP terminal is already
> on order but I know they have a design all of their own. The question is
> if anyone has already tried this, "would you recommend trying to run a SUN
> using an HP terminal and vice versa?"
>
> 		On a personal note the key layout on the HP terminals drives
> me nuts but it's someone elses chequebook. ;-)

ps: I know this question/summary only approach isn't how sunhelp works
but can we let it go just this once?

Merry Xmas.