[Sunhelp] Hi here is my battle plan:)

patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG patl at Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Sun Sep 10 11:46:16 CDT 2000

?
> $tar cvf root.tar /
> $then tar of all the other mounted FS (usr,opt,tmp)
> $cp *.tar to the various FS (which will be much bigger) on the other
> HardDrive (c0t8d0s*) (hoping that this will solve the space problem.)
> $tar xvf of all of the backups.
> $change the /etc/vfstab file to indicate the right FS on the new Hard disk
> $eeprom boot-dev = disk1 (the newharddisk) or :--ok nvalias boot-dev =
> disk1 $reboot
>
> And if it works change the original hard disk whith bigger FS.I don't use a
> tape because they haven't still got one ($%%$%...grrr).
> What do you think about it??????Do you think yhat I need even a booot -r to
> reconfigure the /etc/path_to_inst file????????
> I really hope that I am tarting to talk unix You know:)
> Hope to ear from You soon:)

Tar may not properly handle all files - in particular, device nodes
and sparse files.  There can also be problems with very long path names
If you substitute ufsdump and ufsrestore for tar it should work much
better.

But you should be able to simplify even further by eliminating the
temporary backup file and simply piping a ufsdump into a ufsrestore.
There's an example in the ufsrestore man page.

If you are truely paranoid, you will try booting once before changing
the eeprom.  When you've stopped the system you should get the OK prompt
from the OpenBoot PROM Monitor.  Type 'help boot' to get the syntax for
specifying a disk to boot from.  (You might also want to read the boot
manpage first.)

-Pat