[Sunhelp] Solaris 8 and swap space

Martin Wedel sr sun at minor-element.net
Thu Sep 7 14:35:40 CDT 2000

Please pardon what my be a simple question/answer, but I am a tad confused
about swap space utilization in solaris.
I have an Ultra 10 with 512MB of ram, and a 600 MB swap space which I
believed to be a bit large.
My question is this, when I run 'top' on the machine, it shows 74MB of
swap in use, with 378MB of ram free. This is while running the Gnome
desktop and a seti client. I understand th implications of 'leaky'
programs, but what would cause a program to go to swap before real memory
was exhausted?
I did check the swap for a core file, and /tmp doesn't appear to be
mounted in swap, so I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

--
Martin Wedel