[Sunhelp] Should I ever reboot a Solaris box if I don't need to?

Kevin Stevens kevin_stevens at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 14:02:25 CDT 2000

>On a side note, I haven't known many NT servers with an uptime of 3-4
>months.  Just out of curiousity, anybody else know of any?
>
>Hal

I've had many NT 4.0 servers up for many months on end before being taken
down for hardware or other unrelated maintenance.  While it's true that NT
needs to be rebooted much more often while installing new software, as far
as uptime is concerned I find it much like xNIX, as long as the applications
don't leak you're ok.  FWIW I view the xNIX "don't have to reboot to
install" advantage pretty minimal - I don't trust a new application install
to come up correctly after a cold restart until it's been tested anyway...

KeS