[Sunhelp] Should I ever reboot a Solaris box if I don't need to?

Steve Pribyl spribyl at enteract.com
Wed Sep 6 13:57:28 CDT 2000

I would go with this recommendation, with some caution.
I usually did this for two reasons
1) Clean up the os.
The os does leak this will also reset any tables and counters.
Also forces the applications to restart cleaning up any leaks and other
lost resources.
2) Trigger boot/hw/configuration problems.
Finds bad disks/filesystems,  maybe some knuklehead made a change that
will cause the system to fail at a more critital time.

#2 is a double edges sword.  If you find a problem its bad.  But at least
you will know when the might have a problem.  This way you can tell the
customer when the next unscheduled outage is.

Steve Pribyl
spribyl at enteract.com
http://www.enteract.com/~spribyl