[Sunhelp] a vent about sun service

Bob C. Ruddy ruddy at udlug.org
Tue May 30 17:32:35 CDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

->Not only cant they get a simple thing like a replacement E220R motherboard
->shipped out, they cant even use the right shipper (that we paid extra to
->use for priority) and then the parts arent delivered when promised.
->
->*sigh*  Does it get any better?

no it gets worse. were I work we have a gold contract, since I'm located
about 1000 miles from the servers I actually admin we rely pretty heavy on
sun on site support for trouble shotting. We were seeing alot of scsi
errors on a 450, weren't real sure if it was the controller, or back
plane, or drive. The sun "engineer" they sent out was an idiot, we had to
do the trouble shotting for him step by step over the phone. Finally after
4-5 hours we isolated that it was either the back plane or ribbon cable
that connects the back plane to the controller. Tells me it will take
about 2 hours to get the parts. 3 hours later I get a call saying he
ordered the wrong part. :( 3 hours after that he finally has the right
back plane but the problem still exists and realize it is the ribbon
cable, which he didn't think to order. Another 3 hours and the problem is
finally solved. :(