[Sunhelp] stop A on non-Sun keyboard

David Murphy drjolt+sunhelp at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue May 30 14:12:02 CDT 2000

Quoting <002301bfc694$44c0aac0$2a7789a9 at statesman.com>
by Tom Jones <tjones at statesman.com>:

> If you are connected to Enterprise class Sun servers, the key must
> be in the Normal operating position. If it is in the secure mode,
> you may have been sending the breaks but they would not affect the
> server. You can verify secure mode via
> /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/prtdiag -v and check the Environment Status
> area. Here is a portion of that output from one of our servers:

> ========================= Environmental Status =========================
> Keyswitch position is in Secure Mode

While it's true that any current machine which can report the keyswitch
position has a secure mode which ignores breaks, it's worth noting
that there are sun systems with keylocks that don't offer this
functionality - the E220R would bean example. It should also be noted
that kbd -a will control this functionality on 'most systems'
according to the man page.

> We use terminal concentrators and don't want to risk the server
> going to the Openboot PROM prompt if the terminal concentrator were
> to have any type of failure (i.e. power supply go out).

> BTW - sending a break signal is correct to get the OK prompt.  This
> will vary according to the console implementation (i.e. different
> when using tip, PC emulator, dumb terminal).  If a telnet session,
> you should be able to man telnet to determine how to send a break.

These are dependent on the particular terminal concentrator/console
server you are using - for instance, we use a Lightwave unit which
does not drop attached servers to the OBP when it's power cycled, and
uses a different command sequence to send a break to an attached
device. The bottom line is each device is different, and without the
precise make and model, all one can effectively do is refer the poster
to the documentation for their device.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."