[Sunhelp] dhcpagent

Hal Flynn hmflynn at earthlink.net
Tue May 23 17:17:20 CDT 2000

Ok, I've got on interesting headache.  Here's a synopsis:

I have a brand new, out of the box Ultra5, and I'm running the install
of Sol8 that came with it from the factory.  The OS is solid, hardware
good, everything fine, EXCEPT this one ANNOYING little part.

The network this machine is running on uses dhcp, and there's no more
space in the pool for a static (allegedly).  So, I'm relying on
dhcpagent to get the address for me, which of course, works.  However,
for some reason, unbeknownst to me, dhcpagent seems insistant on
resetting the hostname of each machine to "unknown" each time it queries
the dhcp server.

Now, I've altered the dhcp file in /etc/default (I can't recall the
exact filename atm...a little frazzled at this point), removing type 12
(hostname) from the dhcp updated info.  Additionally, I pulled out the
RFC to see if there was a code spec to push the hostname back to the
dhcp server, or update it via some other means.  That has proved
fruitless as well.  Has anybody else encountered this headache?  If if
so, what did you do to fix it?

TIA,
Hal