[Sunhelp] High Capacity Tape Drives

McMurry, James A. James.McMurry at destia.com
Thu May 4 07:31:01 CDT 2000

Not sure about the Compaq drive, but I have a Legato NetWorker server
running on Solaris 7 with a Qualstar tape library.  The library has two Sony
AIT-1 drives and uses the 25GB length tapes.

The drives use the basic st driver, nothing special at all.  NetWorker has
special Solaris drivers in /etc/LGTOuscsi, but these aren't specific to
these drives or this tape library.  I did a reconfigure boot, the two drives
were found as devices 0 and 1, and I configured NetWorker to use them.
Configuring the tape library was easy, too, but that's off-topic.

During a Legato training course, my instructor pointed out that AIT's
relatively slow tape speed (especially compared to DLT-7000) is a real
advantage in networked backups, since the drive doesn't have to do as much
backpedaling if the tape outruns the input buffer from the remote client.
If you've ever heard a DLT drive sound like it's working the tape over with
sandpaper, you're familiar with this problem.  At any rate, the comment made
me happy and somewhat smug.  :)  For locally attached backups, this isn't so
much an issue, because no tape drive is likely to outrun an UltraSCSI (or
better) bus.

If anyone wants further details, let me know.

James McMurry
GNMC Systems Administration Manager
Viatel, Inc.  (formerly Destia Communications, Inc.)
jmcmurry at destia.com