[Sunhelp] High Capacity Tape Drives

George Thiruvathukal x86 at lemont.rice.iit.edu
Wed May 3 14:23:14 CDT 2000

Has anyone here had any luck with some of these newer high capacity tape
drives?

One in particular that looked good was the Compaq 50GB AIT drive - that's
50 gigs on a single tape! More with compression turned on.

It looks nice and the documentation says it's compatible with Solaris x86
through the "cpqncr" driver (I believe). Unfortunately, that driver is not
present on Solaris 8 for Sparc.

Usually tape drives I've used have gone through the "st" driver. And this
looks like a standard UltraWide SCSI single tape drive.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work with the normal "st" driver?

Or does anyone have any suggestions for other AIT or DLT drives that may
work with Solaris. I've kind of outgrown DAT/DDS.

Cheers,

George

George J. Thiruvathukal                       |         gjt at lemont.rice.iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology              |          http://info.id.iit.edu
Information Technology Certificate Programs   |               p. 1.630.769.8762
201 E Loop Rd, Wheaton, IL 60187-8489 USA     |               f. 1.630.682.6029