[Sunhelp] local deskjet printer?

bhinz bhinz at chipmunk.nsc.com
Wed May 3 08:24:23 CDT 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Hewlett Packard Deskjet (parallel port) printer working with
my sparc10, which is running solaris 7. It is a non-PS printer but I would be
happy just being able to print text.  I have added the printer, chosen /dev/bpp0
as the port and "hplaser" as the type. The printer is enabled and accepting jobs
but print requests don't print. lpstat -p -deskjet -l returns a message saying
that "printer powered off or disconnected; source: parallel". Anyone know why I
am getting this error? I've tried several other seemingly logical printer types
with the same results. Is it even possible to get this configuration (HP DJ +
sparc10) to work?

TIA
Brian