[Sunhelp] (no subject)

Reagen Ward ward at zilla.nu
Sat Jul 29 14:22:24 CDT 2000

HP-UX is DEFINATELY not a good learning UNIX, as it's amazingly non-standard and
weird.  I love the hardware (6CPU N closely beats a 24 CPU 6500 at OLTP, and Sun
advertises this fact, thinking that the N is more expensive), but the OS is
utter crap for the most part.  "I'm sorry, we don't fully support classless
subnetting, NIS, TCP-based NFS3, kernel modules... Oh, QA?  Our customers are
our QA."  I actually had a sales rep feed me that line about QA when I was
complaining that HP so many buggy software products.

Only real advantage:  Integrated Volume Manager.  BIG advantage.

Though, you can get a 712/60 for $50 or so these days, and that's a very useable
desktop, and it uses PC parts.

I deal with both on a regular basis (about 120 HPs, 80 Suns), and I'd suggest
an old SPARC4/5 for a learner.  It runs Solaris, BSD, and Linux, making it a
very flexible learning platform.  If you find a cheap HP, they're very capable
machines, but you will be limiting yourself to knowing HP-UX rather than a more
standard UNIX.

Reagen