[Sunhelp] multi-processing

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at nocke.Sweden.Sun.COM
Fri Jul 28 11:46:53 CDT 2000

Halt, add the second CPU & boot :) Solaris will take advantage of it.

The solaris kernel uses a TS (timeshare) scheduling to figure out which
process to be runned, based on a couple of things like priority etc. It will
dispatch processes to other CPU's as well if there are anyone idle.

Solaris is multiprocessing (and multithreaded). Unless you are trying to do
some RT (Realtime) computing on a system with only 1 CPU ;).

Thats not 100% true, its very much simpified, but its about how it works ;)

> Is Solaris 7 automatically configured for mutli-processing? We are going to
> add a second processor and I need to know what must be done to make this
> work properly. Thanks.

Regards,

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */