[Sunhelp] Keyboard probs

Brian Scanlan singer at redbrick.dcu.ie
Sun Jul 23 18:33:38 CDT 2000

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 06:42:32PM +0100, Seamus  O'Byrne wrote:
> The keyboard may indeed be the problem but I can't be sure no-one tinkered
> with the install either, so if I can do an install I can eliminate this from
> the probable causes.

If you have no keyboard attached to a Sun, it'll automatically send
input/output through the serial port, where you could connect a VT100 terminal
into, or a null modem cable attached to a PC to get at the machine.

> The machine is an ultra 5 desktop machine and is "ultrasparc driven".  When
> I put the install CD in the drive and reboot I get a dialog box, x windows
> or whatever, requesting me to input a username.

Insert CDROM, login to the machine as root and type "reboot -- cdrom". This
will boot the machine from the CDROM drive, so you can do a re-install. A
re-install will not fix your keyboard though. If you've got a support contract
with Sun/Horizon (Horizon are Suns sales office in Ireland, and my employer),
log a call to get the keyboard replaced.

Brian.
--
Columnated ruins domino,
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop.