[Sunhelp] RE: Friday - CVSI problems

Brent Kellis brentk at ameritech.net
Sat Jul 22 08:24:58 CDT 2000

We have used CVSI for several years now for H/W maint.  They have been
outstanding until the past 6-7 months.  A couple of major problems with one
of our Sun servers and a sparc storage array.  Cost us a lot of down time
because they chose not to stock parts (which goes against the contract) and
when the problem arose, they wanted to avoid replacing the bad board
because it would be expensive for THEM to purchase the part that was bad.
 So they replaced every other part in the system that could be possibly
related to the problem (parts they had in stock of course) before finally
ordering the bad part.  By the way, the bad part was identified even prior
to thier initial response to the call, thus it was clearly a matter of them
trying to save a couple of bucks and NOT a matter of just trying to
identify the problem by process of elimination.  Since then, we have
threatened to cancel ALL contracts with them (we have 4 locations under
contract).  Because of our "problem" they have supposedly put a special
policy in place for our comapny specifically so this never happens again.
 We were crippled for over a week - not pretty!

Since CVSI has done such a good job up to this point, we will be very
cautious, but continue to do busines with them.  It is my understanding
they have been bought out by another company recently.  Also they were
close partners with Genicom (sp?) and relied on them for hardware support.
 It is my understanding that Genicom just filed chapter 11.  So, I know
there has been recent management/corporate restructuring over there.

Again, you can look at it a couple ways.  One bad experience in 3-4 years
isn't too bad.  But, that 1 bad experience cost one of our plant big-big
$$.  Thankfully, our department was never required to quantify how much we
lost in down time (and thankfully, we had good backups) and this did not
affect manufacturing.  But we had many designers setting idle for about a
week and several PO'd customers that were not getting engineerning data.
 NOT a good scenario.

Just my ten cents.

Hope this helps!