[Sunhelp] finding out serial #

George Munk munkg at iomega.com
Fri Jul 21 12:04:50 CDT 2000

I was the one that replaced the motherboards for the CPU upgrades. I was
actually employeed by the VAR who sold the upgrades to the company at which I
now work. The upgrades were new products that came from SGI. The upgrade did not
require that a specific upgrade kit be applied to a specific machine. Upgrade
kits were selected and used completely at random and no MAC addresses/serial
numbers changed.

It seem to me that the techs' statements conflict with my observations. I
wouldn't suprise me if the techs didn't really know the details of how the
serial number works. This is not intended to be a criticism of them. I don't
think that it is realistic to expect them to know everything.

I hope I am understanding the points of your comments and adding more
clarification than confusion. If the discussion gets any deeper, it may be
appropriate to communicate directly. A summary could later be posted to the
mailing list for others.

Regards,
George Munk