[Sunhelp] du/dk differences

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at nocke.Sweden.Sun.COM
Wed Jul 19 03:36:08 CDT 2000

Well, are you running as root? du will only count what the current user
has permissions to see.

The second thing is that "du -sk *" wont count directories / files
starting with a "." in the directory you start from. I would do a "du -sk ."
instead.

Playing around with a .foobar directory:
click(/tmp/test):$ ls -a
click(/tmp/test):$ du -ks *
10249   a
click(/tmp/test):$ du -ks .
20499   .

When doing du on a partition its also a good idea do add the -d flag,
which tells du not to go onto other filesystems than the current one.

Regards,

	//Magnus