[Sunhelp] BSM

Magnus Abrante magnus.abrante at nocke.Sweden.Sun.COM
Sun Jul 16 15:29:05 CDT 2000

Alex,

The BSM or Basic Security Module are included in the Core Solaris Package,
so it should defently be installed on your box.

The commands to handle BSM are bsmconv (to enable) and bsmunconv (to disable)
these features, these commands can be found under /etc/security.

BSM turns on auditing and an allocation/reservation system for removable
devices (eg tapes), as far as i remember it will let users allocate or
deallocate a device for use, so that noone can use that devices while the
user in question are using it. Useful if you for example want to protect
your data from other users while writing it to a tape device.

Frankly i dont remember very much about how the auditing works, but i guess
its in the manpages.

Take a look on the manpages for bsmconv/bsmunconv/allocate/deallocate.

Hope it answer your question.

Regards,

	//Magnus Abrante