[Sunhelp] Automount and Qmail

Gary Gendel x3145 ggendel at sarnoff.com
Fri Jul 14 07:02:14 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I've run into a strange problem...

I have a Sparcstation 10 which I'm using as my internet services (mail, http,
etc.) running Solaris 7.

I'm using Qmail with standard Unix mailbox format (in /var/mail) for users.
Recently I set up auto_homes for users which seems to be working properly,
except for Qmail.  If the user's home directory is already mounted Qmail works
correctly.  However, if the home directory is not mounted Qmail bounces the
mail with a "user not found" error.  I've circumvented this problem by setting
the user's home directories as /export/home/<user> rather than /home/<user>.

Anyone have a clue on why automount doesn't respond to Qmail's directory
queries?

Regards,
Gary