[Sunhelp] Netra t1 105

Naveed Ali rehan at gerrys.net
Fri Jul 14 06:50:41 CDT 2000

The Problem:
To make a tip connection between Netra t1 105 and Ultra 10(Solaris7) for
OS installation.

Our findings:

1.The use of a console port is required for the Netra t1 server, because
Sunhas designed the
system so that a null-modem cable is not needed.  A straight, standard
Category 5 cable hooked
between a Netra t1 server to a termserver is all you need.

2.The Netra t1 server uses RJ45 connectors for serial ports to
accommodate
the environment where it will be deployed. The cable that is used today
to hook up console
ports to servers is the standard Category 5 network cable.  To allow
this, service providers
themselves have to build dongle-like adapters for the DB-9/DB-25
connectors to they can use the
standard Category 5 cable.

3.The adapter we used till now is RJ45 to RS232(DB25) for null modem.
The pin configuration of this adapter is:
(Which we got from Sunsolve  the infodoc # 21589
 Pinouts for a Netra T1 105 RJ45 - RS232 serial converter cable)

Netra 105         Sun serial
  RJ-45             RS-232
  ---------         ----------
  Pin               Pin
  1 (RTS) <-------> 5  (CTS)
  2 (DTR) <-------> 6  (DSR)
  3 (TXD) <-------> 3  (RXD)
  4 (GND) <-------> 7  (GND)
  5 (GND) <-------> 7  (GND)
  6 (RXD) <-------> 2  (TXD)
  7 (DSR) <-------> 20 (DTR)
  8 (CTS) <-------> 4  (RTS)

4.We are afraid that above given configuration is for making a null
modem
cabel.While according to "just the facts" of  Netra t1 105, a null modem
cabel
is not needed.
Now the question is that; what is the behavior of the serial port A of
Netra t1
105, either it behaves like a DTE or DCE?

5.If we have to use a straight RJ45 to RS232 convertor then its pin
diagram
might be:

(RS232)                           RJ45
------------------------------------
TXD 2                              3 TXD
RXD 3                              6 RXD
RTS 4                               1 RTS
CTS 5                               8 CTS
DSR 6                               7 DSR
GND 7                              4 GND
GND 7                              5 GND
DTR 20                             2 DTR

Please suggest.
Rehan