[Sunhelp] disks for Sun SSA

P Nutton Paul.Nutton at awe.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 03:40:31 CDT 2000

> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 11:32:52 -0500
> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [Sunhelp] disks for Sun SSA
>
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 04:17:26PM +0100, P Nutton wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I have now fitted five 9.0 Gb drives into my Sun SSA (100 series)
> replacing
> > the existing 1.05Gb drives, part numbers (format, select drive, i) below
> as
> > promised:
> <snip>
>
> What firmware revision are you running on the SSA?
>
> If I remember correctly, SSA 100s wont take over 4gig drives.
>
> Bill

Hi Bill,

The SSA mail was a follow up to a mail I posted about a month ago (probably
on the rescue list, sorry), asking what disks I could fit to my SSA. The
answer seemed to be anything that was 1", with a central 68 ribbon
connector, up to 8.5Gb. I now have a stripe of 5 disks which format can
recognise. I haven't put a file system on them yet, as one shows 8Gb, all
the rest show 8.43Gb.

/usr/sbin/ssaadm display c1

<snip>
Vendor: Sun
Product ID: SSA100
Product Rev: 1.0
Firmware Rev: 3.12

Sunsolve has no info on the problem, Sun support offered to send me a new
disk, which was nice of them as we only have software support on this item!
The only patch to mention the disk is 106817 which is a firmware upgrade,
but it doesn't mention this problem. I have built a test Sparc5 with the
correct external enclosure, so will have a go at a firmware upgrade of the
disk (gulp).
--
Paul Nutton

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at intadmin at awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.