[Sunhelp] Xsun instability

Michael Geffon michael at esl.sakuragaoka.ac.jp
Wed Jul 5 04:42:01 CDT 2000

Hi,

I'm very new to Solaris, having recently switched over to Solaris 8 from
RedHat on my quad-CPU SS20. I got through the install (loooong) and
applied the recent maintenance update, but am having an extremely
annoying problem that existed both before and after the MU.

At seemingly random intervals, my X sessions will bomb out. The screen
suddenly goes white and then I'm looking at the graphical login dialog
again. This sometimes happens sooner, and sometimes later after logging
in, but it consistently happens and I have no idea why. After this
happens several times, the login dialog no longer appears, and instead I
get an error message that "the X-sun server could not be started on
display :0" or something like that, and I usually end up rebooting to
get a desktop back.

My hardware:

SPARCstation SS20
Quad ROSS RT625 125MHz CPUs
192MB RAM
cgsix FB
1 20-inch Sun monitor

ANY advice, pointers, discussion, sympathy, etc. is welcome. Can anyone
help me understand what is happening?

Lengthy posts can be sent to me directly, and I will try to summarize
back to the list.

Thanks!
Michael

Michael Geffon     michael at esl.sakuragaoka.ac.jp
CALL Administrator
Sakuragaoka Girls' Jr. & Sr. High School,  Tokyo, Japan