[SunHELP] e450 server help

Fletcher, Joe sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 14 10:05:38 CST 2000

Hi,

My first response would be to say, "throw the SUN away and buy an Alpha cos
they are much faster"
but that isn't very helpful. ;-) Start by gathering some stats to try and
locate the bottlenecks. sar is useful for this eg "sar -A >/tmp/sar.out 30
1200 &"  then analyse the collected results. You can also use a combination
of top/iostat/vmstat to do the same. If you see lots of processes in wait
states then I/O is most likely the killer.

My initial guess is that throwing some more RAM at the system is going to be
your best bet
but your description suggests I/O may be as much of a problem.

The reality is that USPARC II 250s just aren't that fast especially compared
to some of the competition. Even the new UIII 900s are only just on a par
with the EV67 Alphas of a year ago.
The UII 450s are about as fast as a PC though they do better on I/O.

Good hunting.

Cheers

Joe