[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #717 - 18 msgs

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 5 08:37:33 CST 2000

mirroring question:

> This simply isn't true.  I don't see any specifics on what drives are
> being used, and I'm not intimately familiar with the Enterprise level
> hardware, but I assume that these will not be top of the line drives,
> and that the machine as at least a UW bus (40MB/sec).  That said, drives
> 1 or 2 generations old probably can't deliver more than 10MB/sec each,
> so that means 3-4 drives will saturate a bus.  And you can certainly go
> with more drives than that, especially if you don't expect simultaneous
> access on more than a couple of drives at once.

well, by mirroring on the same bus, you are already doing simultaneous access
on two drives per operation.  so this cuts half of that 40MB/s off, so now you
are down to 20MB/sec.  not so great anymore, eh?  so, a new controller is
highly recommended, but not needed.  oh, and an e3000 holds, what? 8 drives, or
is it 10 drives internally in the cabinet.  so assuming 10MB/s per drive, that's
80-100MB/sec worth of data that has the potential to be passed across the SCSI
bus.

you would easily be able to get away without the second controller depending
on how heavily used that database is.  if it gets a good workout though, you
_must_ get a second SCSI card for each machine, otherwise performance will be
in the pooper.  although that would be a god way to get better hardware, "hey,
all i did was do what you told me too, the performance is down cause you're
cheap, so cough up the cash and get us a storage solution."

SCSI cards are cheap, you could pick up two for a couple of hundred on ebay.

firewall question:

> rdr le1 216.99.218.48/32 port 80 -> 192.168.1.10 port 80

rdr le0 216.99.218.48/32 port 80 -> 192.168.1.10 port 80

-brian