[SunHELP] Disk Mirroring Question

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 16:59:12 CST 2000

> Sure is. You'll want to use the Sun ODS package.(Online Disk Suite) This
> will allow you to mirror partitions. The disks being on the same bus will
> cost you a huge performance penalty however. You might try to beg, borrow,
> or steal another controller.

This simply isn't true.  I don't see any specifics on what drives are
being used, and I'm not intimately familiar with the Enterprise level
hardware, but I assume that these will not be top of the line drives,
and that the machine as at least a UW bus (40MB/sec).  That said, drives
1 or 2 generations old probably can't deliver more than 10MB/sec each,
so that means 3-4 drives will saturate a bus.  And you can certainly go
with more drives than that, especially if you don't expect simultaneous
access on more than a couple of drives at once.