[SunHELP] Talk to me of NetApp. . .

Hatle, Steven J. sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 1 11:20:13 CST 2000

All,

We're in the midst of some planning/decision making regarding storage at our
place, and are considering NAS- primarily Network Appliance - vs. SAN-
probably Compaq/DEC Storageworks.

We're looking at approx. 200-500 GB of storage to primarily service an NT
based application server running custom Java based apps. There would be a
large quantity of small files (3k - 10k) that would be accessed a lot soon
after creation, and then less with age, to the point they could go near-line
after approx. 6-9 months.

I'd be interested in hearing of anyone's experiences with similar
situations, and especially with NetApp hardware/software in specific. You
know; speed/reliability/cost/failover/backup/love it/hate it/be careful of,
etc.

I have a few resources who speak highly of current NetApp, and I run a 6
year old FAServer 450 serving up NFS in my basement, so I'm pre-disposed to
like the stuff. Tell me what you think.  .  .

TIA,

Steve

Steve Hatle
NCS/VUE