[Sunhelp] Opinions...

Tim Conrad tconrad at newyork.edisonproject.com
Wed Aug 23 13:37:57 CDT 2000

I think it'd probably have a lot to do with how often the data  on the server
changes...

If you have a LOT of data that changes very frequently, it's a more difficult
case :>

If your data doesn't change that freqently, it's a fairly simple case. Get a
few ftp servers, whatever you want them to be. There are various perl scripts
out there that mirror a ftp server. set up an ftp server as a 'primary' ftp
server, and have the other 2-3-4 mirror that main ftp server every hour or 30
minutes synchronizing the data.

There are also scripts that will automagically modify your dns records when a
server goes down. Server goes down, gets pulled out of the dns queue. Shouldn't
effect very many people. If dns was set up to round-robin, it would also help
with load balancing.

Although, this plan isn't flawless, either. Your data won't be synchronized to
the exact minute as with other solutions, but, the cost is very low.

Tim