[Sunhelp] workshop

Richard richard at close.u-net.com
Wed Aug 9 15:55:46 CDT 2000

> suresh wrote:
>
> has anybody heard of workshop software for solaris
> i believe it is a set of development tools

 Yesm I use it at work on a daily basis. We use Workshop 5
on Solaris 2.6 and it is just about OK. If you have been used
to IDEs on PCs then will seem a bit primitive. Basically
you have a choice of three editors Emacs, Xemacs, or something
crap like Vi. The editor has extra buttons to do the usual debugging
functions as well as build the software.

 The workshop toolbar has buttons for opening a file, building the
software (make), debugging (front end to dbx), merging, analysis, etc.
I use the debugger a lot and find it clumsy and prone to crashing. It
regularly crashes taking out workshop with it. To be honest I have used
better free IDEs, but it does have a lot of other stuff like code
management
tools and code analysis tools.

 To sum up I would say that it is an OK collection of development tools
but with
a poor interface and lack of online help. The only big plus is that it
uses
the Sun compiler which produces full 64 bit code for your Ultra
processor.
It is available on a "try and buy" basis (CD comes with Solaris 8) from
Sun so have
a try yourself. You might want to find out if any of the free Linux IDEs
have been
ported to Solaris.

 Regards,
  Richard.